Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] jeffreyscottarnold@lycos.com is offline

Default Toshiba D-VR610 DVD/VCR Combo always ejects

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 6:01:56 PM UTC-7, Ian Malcolm wrote:
Michael Black wrote in

news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1409282025490.25093@darkstar. example.org:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, wrote:

Hello. I purchased this combo player/dvd recorder a few years back.

Only played about 10 vhs tapes with it, as I transferred old stuff to

dvd. Then it began to do what it does in this video: it will accept

the tape, seat the tape, then eject it and create a situation where

there's a string of tape not wound back into the cassette:

http://youtu.be/s2e9OQBMAy8

Hopefully someone knows what's going on. I don't have a ton of

tapes, but would like to transfer my few remaining home videos before

retiring the format forever. Thanks.

There's a faq about VCRs at http:www.repairfaq.org that even includes

some photos of how the tape is supposed to wind. At least read that

first before asking a vague question.

Michael

If ive read the model number off your youtube video correctly, its a

Toshiba DVR-610. There appears to be a service manual online at:

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Toshiba/DVR610/Manual/274957

but it doesnt cover the details of the VCR mechaninsm.

95% odds its got deteriorated rubber parts, probably a drive belt or

idler tyre, or maybe a friction clutch has gone bad. Its supposed to

drive the takeup reel during the early stages of unloading to wind the

loop of tape back into the cassette.

Basically it needs servicing. If you had the skills to do this, you

wouldn't be asking here what's wrong with it and most of the combo units

even from leading brand manufacturers were pretty cruddy to start with so

it is probably not cost effective to have it serviced, even if parts are

still obtainable.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL

Thank you sir for the info.