Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.woodworking
Dan Coby Dan Coby is offline

Default Building a treehouse in the redwood grove of a neighbor (picsincluded)

On 9/28/2014 2:18 PM, Danny D. wrote:
Dan Coby wrote, on Sun, 28 Sep 2014 12:34:27 -0700:

Are you saying that the tree house will be in the middle of a 125 foot
suspension bridge. How much will the tree house weigh when fully loaded
and do you have any idea of the forces that may be in the cables?

The tree house will be where our cargo net currently is.

That's roughly half way from the uphill pine to the downhill big redwood
(with two little redwoods, side by side, in between).

The steel cables can handle 14,000 pounds each.

That's 28,000 pounds (because we maintain a double cable throughout).

You also have to consider the geometry of what you are creating. If you
are tensioning the cables for very little sag then the forces in the
cable can be many time the weight of the tree house. Without knowing
exactly what you are creating then I cannot guess. That is why I asked
if you had any ideas of the forces in the cable.

We don't know how much the bridge & treehouse will weigh, but if it's
close to or greater than 28,000 pounds, then we have a problem.

How much do you think a treehouse will weigh?

I do not know what you are planning upon building. That was why I asked
you. If you are talking about the tree houses that we built as kids with
a plywood floor and a few boards and a tar paper roof then only a
couple of hundred pounds. If you are talking about some of the multi
story creations that I have seen on TV then many tons.

Dan