Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Few Goings On, Here

"Sonny" wrote:

Other posts
The Miss. R. levees, here, weren't made until after the flood of 1927.
I'm sure folks benefited (trapped fish) from its overflow, prior to
then.
As a kid growing up in North Central Ohio (1040's-1950's),
would get the news on the radio of the latest disasters.

First it was the latest coal mine in West Virgina collapsing and
trapping
(Fill in the number) miners underground.

John L Lewis (United Mine Workers) would show up in
support of "his" miners.

Most often those trapped underground ended up losing their lives
underground.

We still get reports of trapped miners, just not as many.

Next it was the Ohio river flooding at Cincinnati when the ice broke
with the spring thaw.

The reports would come in listing the number of feet below
flood stage at that report.

Today the levees have solved that problem.

Years later when I had occasion to be in Cincinnati and saw the
levees as they are today.

Must have taken a lot of dirt to build those levees.

Lew