Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default outdoor temp sensor/ Boiler reset control for steam boiler?

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:50:33 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:12:16 AM UTC-4, Mikepier wrote:

I've seen these boiler reset controls to sense outdoor temperature to compensate for the water temperature flowing through hydronic radiators. Just curious do they make anything for a 1 zone steam boiler?

Apparently they do, like this:

http://tekmarcontrols.com/products/h...stems/279.html

This is for a 6 family apt building in NYC. I'm wondering if they make an outdoor temperature sensor that can prevent the boiler from coming on if it's warm enough outside. Current rules in NYC a

From 6AM-10PM, indoor temp must be 68deg if outside temp is below 55.

From 10PM-6AM indoor temp must be 55deg if outside temp is below 40.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/ten...ot-water.shtml

So I would need something similar to a programmable T-Stat for the different times and temperatures. I'm wondering if its possible to wire 2 T-stats in series?

I think it's more complicated than just two thermostats in series.

Or will this cause more problems? Ideally, I'd like to have a Wi-Fi indoor T-stat , but there is no Wi-Fi in the bldg ( not even with tenants), and the wiring from indoor T-stat on 2nd floor hallway to boiler is insufficient ( only 2 wires).

It's not clear if you're living there, this is for you? For one apartment?

A common area?

But for the 2 wire to 2+N problem, Google is your friend:

http://www.fast-stat.net/

The T-stat is in the hallway of bldg., it controls heat for the whole bldg. I do not live there.

So this fast-stat device, looks like a multiplexer, correct?