nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
I've seen these boiler reset controls to sense outdoor temperature to compensate for the water temperature flowing through hydronic radiators.
No the reset control doesn't compensate for the water temperature in the heating system; it lowers the set temperature of the heating system when it's warm outside and raises it when it's cold outside.

Also, I'm not sure there's such a thing as a indoor/outdoor reset control for STEAM heating systems because I'm not sure that steam boilers are set up to produce varying temperature steam the way hydronic boilers are set up to produce varying temperature water. Any steam boiler manufacturer could answer that. Maybe contact Weil McLain in that regard. They make hydronic boilers, but I don't know if they make steam boilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pawlowski View Post
Really??? How about the hundreds of thousands of homes built from other
materials? Stone, block, ICFs SIPS. brick. adobe, concrete, etc.
Ed: The heavier the construction materials used to build the home, the greater the thermal inertia. If you have concrete block walls in your house, you'll have the same situation as an apartment block where it takes a much longer time for the building to warm up or cool down because of the thermal mass of the walls. That's just a matter of physics and thermodynamics. The heavier the mass, the more heat it stores and the greater it's thermal inertia.

Quote:
It only matters getting the temperature up at the required time,
lag to the lower is not a problem, not does it have to go that low. You
will have to anticipate the time for increase and the boiler will have
to come on before the required time to reach the daily minimum for
daytime.
No. You're suggesting that he can program his timed thermostat to come one earlier and shut off earlier to account for the thermal mass of the walls. You could do that if it was just a few hours that the walls remained warm or cool, but we're talking days. How can you program a 24 hour thermostat to come on and go off several days in advance?

Quote:
It does not have to reach the 55 degree at night, that is a minimum. He
can set it to whatever works and makes sense. I'd think that 62 or 64
minimum would be better in many respects. Happy tenants and easier to
maintain the swings.
What I'm saying is that it makes no sense to have daily swings in temperature when the thermal mass of the walls is an important factor in the heating of the property for more than 24 hours. He'd be better off to just set the reset temperature control at a comfortable level and leave it that way 24/7 from October to March. That's the way most hot water heating systems with indoor/outdoor reset controls are operated.