Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Gorilla Glue / Polyurethane Glue Question

On 09/27/2014 6:30 PM, dpb wrote:

But the polyurethanes are _not_ gap filling in any useful sense for such
a purpose -- you'll end up w/ a porous mess blob with a bunch of tiny
air bubbles, not a solid mass in the gap.

Followup -- this is a "DAMHIKT" moment...way back when G-G was pretty
new and all the rage of the TV commercials in the big initial blitz I
thought it sounded as though it would be useful for the purpose and the
missus had a cutting board she liked very well that had developed some
problems.

Thinking the filling and the waterproof was a great combination w/ less
hassle than epoxy or resorcinol Weldwood two part, I commenced to begin.
It was a nightmare...had all glued up w/ mostly good joint w/ the
exception of the location with the known gap that I ensured had
sufficient to fill w/ some squeeze-out. As it began to dry/cure, it
started foaming like a miniature insulation foam can spray and soon was
a mess a-making. I've never used it since for anything but the odd
repair job of mismatch material or the like for which it does serve a
function.

I've been amazed at the exhibition of how a perception can be created
and a product niche built from scratch almost purely by the strength of
advertising that Gorilla did...they did pick a great trademark and ran a
powerful media blitz and won...