Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default A Few Goings On, Here

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Every time I see someone from South Louisiana utter the word
"camp", I
get homesick and immediately get envie - to go shoot/catch
something
that will fill the pot that taste good.
Good post, enjoyed update.
Sorry about your finger, Cher ... Pauve ti bete!

"Sonny" wrote:

Jonas and the boys are at the camp, now. Got an email this
morning, Ian
caught a nice little catfish.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

We're surprised they are that large, already, having stocked the
lake
only 1-1/2 yrs ago. Some bream are 4". Bass & white perch are
still
tiny, maybe 3".

"dadiOH" wrote:

Got a catfish story for you, Sonny...

When I was a little kid, we lived for a while in Kansas City,
Kansas. There was a park near the center of town called - IIRC -
"Big Eleven". There was a fair sized but shallow pond in the park
frequently used by the Baptists to dunk new Baptists.

In that pond there were catfish, used to go feed them bread. We
moved from KCK when I was 11 but I remembered those catfish as B I
G catfish! I'm talking 3' long. Well, I attributed that size to
the fact that I was little when I saw them but years later wife and
I passed through KC and I took time to go look...they really are 3'
long. Maybe more.

Sorry about the finger, a sore one sure DOES make doing stuff hard.

As long as catfish stories are on the table, my father told me about
one of his neighbors who broke both his legs trying to pick up a
100 lb river cat in Southern Indiana along the Ohio River.

This would have been before the levees along the river were build,
probably about 1910.

When the river would flood in the spring, the fields beside the river
would flood enough to allow fish to swim into them,
but then get trapped when the flood would waters to recede.

Such was the case with a 100 lb river cat.

It was trapped between two rows of corn and couldn't get
turned to escape back into the river.

The neighbor waded into the field, straddled the catfish and
tried to pick it up by the gills.

The catfish flipped his tail and "snap", "snap", two broken legs.

I caught a catfish when I was about 15 years old and grabbed it
hehind the head with one hand.
"snap, snap" went its head, and I had a hole that felt like it went all
the way through my hand. It definitely
got through all of the "skin" layers. I guess both of these stories
have a moral to them... ; )

It happened near Derby, IN, and my dad wasn't yet 10 years
old when it happened.

Couldn't happen today.

A lot of flood control was put in place during the last 100 years.

Lew