Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default removing rust

"J Burns" wrote in message

On 9/27/14, 7:58 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

Marv Klotz described it. He has a machine shop. He has tried HCl
but
says he won't have it in his shop now. He says if you keep the item
submerged, the vinegar/salt solution won't attack the base metal.

That's a matter of degree. Try vinegar/salt with some old copper
pennies first, then steel. The steel will wind up copper plated
because
of the copper that was dissolved.

How long should I soak the penny? I guess the bath would be opaque with
dissolved copper.

Long enough for them to get shiny. The dissolved copper will be in ionic
form, can't see it.

--

dadiOH