Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

On 26/09/14 22:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/09/14 14:34, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-09-24, Tim Streater wrote:

Since I have 15k lines of working PHP I'm not about to rewrite it.

Reasonable.

I'm beginning to regret starting this thread:-)

I agree there's a danger of descending into language or platform wars
but we've manfully avoided that.

let's just say that all languages are in essence crap, and some are even
more crap than most. But they are all faster to write than assembler.

And even a crappy language can be persuaded to do what you want, unless
its pascal* of course.

*the only language I couldn't find a way to take an arbitrary 265bytes
of data, and look at the first few bytes to see what it was, and hence
what to do with the rest.

Pascal dont like casts one little bit.

Depends on your pascal... turbo/delphi style pascals can get just as
down and dirty as C if you want.

well in fact I discovered they couldn't.