Leo Van Der Loo

Default tool rest for south bend 9"

Hi Arch

Yes you are right about the unique tooling, if this was woodworking one
could go to just about any building supply center and buy a planer,
table saw, jointer etc., as it is, the wood turning tools are almost a
custom build item, ordered from specialty tool supply stores or imported
from places like New Zealand, Australia, England, etc., with Prices to
match.
The nice thing about having a metal turning lathe is the possibility to
make a lot of these tools and accessories yourself, yes you could make
some of these things also without having a metal lathe.

Another thing is you have a machine that has a non flimsy body, spindle,
head and tail stock etc., more and low turning speeds at full torque.

As for that what you call a major problem and aggravation, there is
none, other than keeping things clean and as with any other woodworking
machine, you have to do certain things to keep your jointer or table saw
top from rusting, as well as a wood turning lathe.

LDD is not an issue with me, I don't use it (after having tried it),

After turning wet green wood, you dry things and clean up, if I want to
turn metal some cleaning and lubrication is necessary, as would be the
case in any shop before you start to turn, unless this is a 24 hr. a day
ongoing job, where one would do this also ongoing.

If I had a production wood turning shop I would have wood turning lathes.
As it is in my case (and with most of the posters here imho) I turn wood
for fun and more often than metal, but still want to be able to turn
metal, I also wanted to and do turn "larger bowls and platters", and if
you look around, most anyone that does this has custom build equipment,
and I don't like the price tags.
Now if you like to turn small treen, smaller bowls etc. than you are
probably right in thinking that one should go out and buy one of the
better quality small lathes that are available today, then again if it
was me, maybe not.
I like what I have and am not about to change that, add to it? Who
knows, maybe I'll win a million, come to think of it, I would have to
buy a ticket first wouldn't I ?

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
...And another obvious thing you already know, Bridger. All the
tooling, unique
configuring, accessories and our advice aside; a major problem in
dancing the tricky metal - wood waltz will be the aggravation of
keeping the one well oiled & greased and the other squeaky clean. LDD
and wood sap are OK for wood & human hands, NG for metal lathes. Keep
the ways and saddle covered as well as possible, but I'm betting you
will soon be looking for a proper woodturning lathe. Arch

Fortiter,