Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default A Few Goings On, Here

Two weeks ago, I broke my left ring finger, while applying a blind tack strip on a sofa. Hit it with the mallet. Makes for some awkward times, doing other tasks.

I bought the QEP Brutus 61024 tile saw, started assembling it, this evening, and discovered one of the upper wheels doesn't fit into its slot. I had hoped to cut some brick this weekend. That wheel doesn't affect any cutting, but I don't want to use the saw if QEP will want the whole saw returned.

The remaining items are referenced with the first three pics on my Flickr Page:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/

Tried to joint my walnut table top boards, individually, using the router. The boards have a very slight warp, enough to make for non-matching joints when routing the boards individually. I secured two boards together, aligned the straight edges and routed between them. That did the trick. I have a center board remaining to joint.

Went to a garage sale last week and rescued an old 10" Oliver 153 vise for $20. It was ugly and frozen. Got it home, cleaned it a little (rust), oiled it, smacked it around a little and got it working. It's in great working order. A little more cleaning and it'll do just fine on my work table.

I finished the faux mantle fireplace. I might go install it this coming week. I kinna don't like the brick "trim".... kinna looks out of place. The upper back board (boards actually) are hand split boards, from that old cypress house we torn down at the farm. These boards were what the original wood shingles (no longer there) were nailed to (there were still some remnants of the wood shingles under the tin roof). The boards' faces are uneven, having been hand split. I had wondered how they would look on the mantle, this way. I may replace the brick trim with this kind of board, along those side edges, see what it looks like with boards. I'm thinking the uneven faced boards will look better than the brick.

We salvaged quite a few of these hand split boards. I may try making a gun cabinet, for the camp, with them, now that I have a taste of how they finish. A rough faced cabinet might look nice.... and unique.

Sonny