Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kluber Grease vs Moly Kote BG20

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:02:42 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I'm getting ready to reassemble a quill spindle, and I have two choice for
grease. The guy who sent me the spindle sent me a small film canister of
"Kluber" grease. He said it was the cat's meow for spindle bearings, but I
can't really tell exactly what it is since he sent it in generic film
canister. 1`

I also have most of a squeeze tube of MolyKote BG-20 left over from when I
regreased the Yuasa speeder I picked up. Its rated for high speed, high
load, and high heat. It is some pretty decent looking stuff on paper, and I
know exactly what it is as its in the original factory packaging. I've got
enough in the tube to lube dozens of bearings. My instinct is to pitch the
film canister and use the MolyKote, but I was wondering if there was any
inherent problem with using this stuff in a "normal speed" application.
96-3600 RPM. Loads upto about 3 horsepower before VFD programming trips an
error.

My first thought was the moly grease that is used to pack CV joints
in front wheel drive cars. High pressure, high temperature, high speed
application. I've got about half a dozen tubes of the stuff (VW Audi)