Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default new roof?? (pretty long)

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
Are tiles Hurricane proof?

Hi, Tony..."hurricane proof" is relative. These have been through four
hurricanes - all in 2004 - without direct damage from the storms. There
was minor damage - a handful of tiles - after the first due to falling
branches. That storm had gusts in excess of 120mph, sustained of about
85mph. It also created mountains of tree debris...we had a stack to be
hauled away that was 300' long by as high as we could stack it (6-7') by
the same wide. We also burned a somewhat smaller amount.

In addition to the debris, we had three large oaks blown over, one of
which is still living, albeit in a generally horizontal position

I live in a Cul-de-Sac with 7 houses. My
house is located at one end and when I needed new roofing replacing
shakes, I chose to go with Rolled steel
tiles coated with ceramic and granules and installed in 2005 by a crew
from Ukraine who
were experienced with this specific tiles. Took about a week. A house at
the other end of
Cul-de-Sac had concrete tiles installed about same time, Now he is
having some problems with some tiles showing hair line cracks and very
minor leaks, our roof is still intact, no problem of any sort so far. It
came with a 50 year transferable guarantee . This tiles are German
origin, been used in all over europe for many years.

I am familiar with them. They are an option. They are made in the US
too.

Concrete/Clay tiles are heavy and it is hung on lattrice interlocking
together.

That's one way. Another way is to use mortar under them (foam too, more
common now). I chose not to use battens because I really hate the thought
of all those nails holding them down...nails which are penetrating the
membrane which is what actually keeps the rain out.

--

dadiOH