Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rusting air handler coils

On 9/26/2014 9:06 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It's been a few years since I worked on mine, and I guess you're
right that they have a panel that comes off, so I'm wrong about them
being sealed. But even with the panel
off, I don't see how you're going to clean much on a typical
modern coil. Here's a pic of a typical Rheem, similar to what I have:

https://www.theacoutlet.com/RCFLHM48...FVQV7AodoHoACg

With the cover off, you aren't going to clean much of it. You have
no access at all to the side of the coils that receive the incoming
air. With no access from above, I guess you might get your arm in there,
to try to clean two faces of the coils and you have very limited access
to just a part of one other face. That means you can maybe clean 2 1/2
sides out of 6 sides of the coils. And you can't get to the sides that
receive the incoming air at all, where presumably most of the dirt would be.

Ideally, the system has a good air filter, and dust
isn't an issue. But, in the real world people pull
the filters out and let the system run unprotected.
It's often necessary to pump out the refrigerant,
and cut the coil out. Wet clean it with chemicals
and put it back. Bit of work, for sure

Cheaper than replacing a thousand dollar coil.

With the cover off, it's possible to spray in some
diluted Clorox bleach, and also to blow out the
drain.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus