Maxprop

Default Cheap lathes any good?

"Wayne M. Slaney" wrote in message

These "cheap" lathes you look at in the flyers at a nice reduced price and
say "hey I'd like to try that" and you do and it becomes a valued part of
your life.

I suspect that these cheap lathes are equally responsible for aborted
avocations in turning as well. Two stories: #1, My father-in-law bought a
cheap lathe with two thinwall tubes for a bed many years ago. Both the
headstock and the tailstock flex outward under even light pressure, and the
motor bogs under light application of a roughing gouge. He turned one or
two pieces of firewood and gave up. The thing sits in a corner of his shop,
collecting dust. Last weekend he tried my Jet 1442 and spent over two hours
turning a fairly intricate spindle. Now he's talking about getting one for
himself. Story #2: Mine. I began turning as a middle school student in
Woodshop. The lathe was competent, and I made several items, two of which I
still own and use. Subsequently I talked my father into a cheap lathe, and
to promote brevity, I gave up soon after failed attempts to use the POS.
Now with a decent lathe, albeit a relatively inexpensive one, I'm having a
ball and my learning curve is steepening.

How many people would never ever turn a piece of wood if these lathes
started at $2000-$3000-$5000....

Fortunately they don't. My Jet 1442 cost me $767 with another $200 in
tools. A Delta 46-715 is even less. A Jet, Fisch, or Delta mini is far
less. Cheap lathes are simply that: cheap. A beginner probably needs a
competent lathe as much as does an experienced turner--perhaps even more.

Max