Bob Itnyre

Default tool rest for south bend 9"

Bridger I had the same question/situation a few years ago. Here is
how I solved it.
I turned a little device, shaped to slide into the T slot that the
lantern style tool post goes into. If you can imagine, this device
looked like two stacked silver dollars with two quarters centered and
stacked on top. I drilled a tapped a 5/6 x 18 hole in the center of it
and slid it into the t slot. I got a piece of 1 1/2 angle iron about 5
inches long. I drilled a hole in one of the sides of the angle iron
that a 5/16 bolt would fit through. I laid it on top of the compound
rest, with the hole aligned with the tapped hole and slid a short bolt
in and presto I had a tool rest that I could adjust around as needed
and put my wood turning tools on it to turn wood. By the way Grizzly
sells a number 3 morse taper spur center if you need to turn spindles.
Of course you might have to adjust sizes to fit your needs. Beauty of
it is, it is real fast to set up and take down, and also it rides on
the existing carraige so your ways don't have some alien device on
them, possible gurring them up. Drop me a line if you have any
questions. Keep turning. Bob

Bridger wrote in message . ..
I lurk here a little, but I usually don't post. however, I have a
question that I haven't seen answered. it might turn out to be one of
those things covered in a FAQ somewhere... if so, please point me in
the right direction.

I inherited a south bend 9x36. it's a model A with the quick change
and the bench mount motor hanging off of the back. Grampa built a
pretty beefy bench for it with lots of room to bolt stuff to if
necessary.

what I want to do with it is set up a tool rest for woodturning
chisels. I'll pull the cross slide when working wood to get it out of
the way. it has the south bend prismatic ways, so the banjo from
another wood lathe is unlikely to work.

I have thought of making something that sits on the bench and
cantilevers over to the lathe center. If it were heavy enough It might
not even need to be bolted, which could be convenient for flexibility
of positioning.

another solution would involve machining a block to allow a generic
banjo to fit the ways. I'd lose a little of the 9" diameter, which is
a bit scant for a wood lathe to begin with, so I'd consider this a
less desireable solution

any thoughts?

Bridger