Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Garrett Dave Garrett is offline

Default Cheap electric pressure washer at HF?

In article ,
says...

On 9/23/2014 10:45 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
Got a coupon sheet from Harbor Freight in last weekend's newspaper and
noticed that one of them was for $50 off this cheap Pacific Hydrostar
electric pressure washer (the $50 is off the retail price, so the price
with coupon is $79.99):

http://www.harborfreight.com/1650-ps...ith-auto-stop-
69488.html

http://preview.tinyurl.com/pxwvhrm

I don't really have a need for a pressure washer frequently enough to
justify one of the bigger gas-powered units. I do have a medium-sized
(3' x 4') motor oil stain on my concrete driveway that I need to clean
up.

Has anyone used one of these particular pressure washers before? Think
it would be sufficiently powerful to scrape a couple of years' worth of
slow oil leaks off concrete? For $79.99, I figure I'll get my money's
worth even if I only wind up using it a few times.

I didn't find a listing on HF Reviews:
http://hfreviews.com/search.php?quer...&search=Search

It's very possible that a power washer is the wrong
tool for the job. Please call two or three auto parts
stores near you, and describe the situation. They may
have a chemical (I see someone mentioned Tide) that
will help. Push broom and garden hose, after that?

Or, see what's on the web:
http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Oil-Off-a-Driveway

(They do mention Tide.)

I'm going to try the Tide first and see what happens. I'm not aiming for
100% stain-free - if I can get the surface cleaned up and minimize the
stain, I'll be satisfied.

FWIW, the last time this happened, I was having my house painted, and
the contractor doing the work had a big, gas-powered pressure washer he
was using to clean the brick exterior and do a first-pass paint removal
on the wood siding. While he was at it, I had him pressure wash the
affected part of the driveway, and it cleaned up pretty well (with a bit
of residual discoloration where the oil had been). I stupidly failed to
put down a drip tray with some Oil-Dri in it before the problem
reoccurred, a mistake I won't make again.

And before anyone says "why don't you just fix the oil leak?", it's
coming from a bad rear main seal on the car in question, which means
the transmission has to be pulled to fix it. I'm not going to spend
$1000 in labor to replace a $2 seal when I can just top off with half a
quart of oil or so in between oil changes.

BTW, do you know why Eskimos wash their laundry
in Tide?

Because it's too cold out Tide?