Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@[email protected] Not@homeNot@home.net is offline

Default The Daring Dufas

Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's been a few weeks since TDD posted. He's been
in and out of hospital, and I'm concerned for him.
Sadly, I don't even know his first name ("the")
nor much else. Birmingham Alabama, that's a start.

Anyone know a bit more about the situation?

Usenet is a dying medium. Virtually all of us have been cut off by our
ISPs, and have had to find other providers. Groups that once thrived
have withered and disappeared. I look around and neither my wife, nor
my children, even knows that usenet exists, much less that the alter ego
I choose to use to fight spam, is me, or that I read these groups. If I
find a posting that I think would interest someone, I forward it, and
when they receive it it is as an email. I doubt they research it and
find out about usenet.

When my time comes, I think my last thoughts will be of something other
than posting my imminent demise.

So when someone goes missing, my thoughts are that they have either lost
interest, forgotten their password, or moved on. I think that is the
nature of usenet.

By contrast, I participate in a web-based forum about events in my town,
and they make us use our actual name, so someone is bound to note my
passing and post it, so the others can rush over and steal my tools.