Arch

Default tool rest for south bend 9"

Hi Bridger, First congratulations on owning a fine engine lathe that
served hundreds of small shops and withstood attacks by pimple faced
apprentices for many years BC (before CNC).

As usual, Leo's 'interspersions' help and hit the mark. I'll just
reinforce a couple of thoughts that you already know.
Don't make any permanent changes that compromise the machining
capabilities of your lathe, especially to the precious bed. It's a
valuable machine in its own right, and wood lathes are less expensive
and easier to find or make on your model A.
I think SB made a woodturning tool rest for the 9in". I know Atlas did.
You might find one on a metalwork newsgroup or in a defunct school shop.
Have fun making swarf as well as chips 'n shavings. Arch

Fortiter,