Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] is offline

Default Intermatic Timer Pinon Gear

writes:

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
"John Keiser" writes:

A more current model [TN711] and drive motor [WG2030] uses a pinon
gear that has readily crumbled [in the heat and humidity of Hawaii,
anyway]. The remnants are a golden, waxy color.

I wonder if the switch contacts generate enough ozone to do anything to
the nylon?

But I agree it's annoying. All the other gears are brass and don't
wear.

Maybe that one crummy gear is a "fuse" for the drive train? I have a '64
VW that has one fiber gear in the wiper motor gearbox, while the rest are
metal; I suspect it might be there in case the wipers are frozen in place
by ice.

I don't think so because installing a replacement from another motor
will get you another 15 years.

--- sam