Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Tube rolling help please

wrote:
Greetings All,
I need to make a bunch of 3 secftion telescoping handles that will be
about 24" expanded and about 8" collapsed. An ovoid cross section is
what I want. I have so far not been able to find the tubing shape I
want and it looks like I'll need to roll my own. Pun intended. So I
think I can start with round thin wall tube and by passing it through
several rollers end up with the shape I want. Anybody here done
anything like this? I'm looking for any suggestions on how best to do
this. My thought is that I can use sets of plastic rollers arranged in
line and pass the tube through each set once or use one set and pass
the tube through several times. The material will most likely be 6063
aluminum with a max wall thickness of .062. The finished size of the
largest handle section should be about 1.25" x .440". The cross
section doesn't need to be a true ellipse, it just needs to be
comfortable to hold and look pleasing to the eye.
Thanks,
Eric

What is this for? 8" collapsed X 3 sections would give you a usable
extension of about 21" allowing 1" overlap. With that thickness of
tubing that won't be very strong.

How are you planning to stop the extension?

--
Steve W.