Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default tight lug nuts

On 9/24/14, 11:58 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/24/2014 11:46 AM, J Burns wrote:

When I reinstalled the first 15 with a torque wrench, I discovered that
the L wrench that came with the car gives the right torque "by feel."
How about that!

CY: That's good news. So, how do you know that?

Nissan specifies 58-72 foot pounds. I set one to 64 with a torque
wrench, loosened it half a turn, and tightened it by feel with the OEM
wrench. The nut rotated to the same position. I tried it with other
nuts with the same results.

As I would not be pushing on the pry-blade end of the 10" wrench, I was
probably exerting 80-100 pounds, as much as would be comfortable on that
handle. More than that, I think you can usually feel when a screw
seats. Suddenly, it's less elastic.