Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tight lug nuts --hot wax method

On 9/24/2014 10:06 AM, rbowman wrote:
Next time, try phosphoric acid. You can find it in the masonry section of a
big box store since it's used to etch concrete. The advantages are that it
will attack rust and not the underlying metal so you can leave the item in
the acid without worrying and it leaves a phosphate coating that inhibits
rust. With hydrochloric, you have a super clean, etched surface that will
rust in front of your eyes if you don't get some sort of protective barrier
on.

If you read the ingredients in Coke, you'll find phosphoric acid which is
probably why it's alleged to be a rust remover. I wouldn't drink the stuff
straight but it's far less aggressive than hydorchloric.

HCL did the job, I had some on hand, and
the experiment was a success. Why would I
try some thing different? Does phosphoric
work better? I guess you do mention a
couple advantages. I put some oil on the
fence pliers, and they are still good.

--
..
Christopher A. Young