Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default tight lug nuts

wrote:

They are NOT mechanics - they are untrained tire installers.- AKA
hacks.

I bought a set of tires in Knoxville. I prefered bias ply tube types when I
could still get them and they installed the set. On the F150, the spare was
in a hanger under the bed. The first clue was when the spare fell down and
was dragging on the road. As the trip went on, 3 out of 4 of the tubes blew
out. I was not happy when I got back to Arizona with the help of Fix-A-Flat
and a tire inflator.

One good thing about southern Arizona and the Mexican mechanics were they
understood tube tires.

Another time, I watched a motorcycle 'mechanic' install a new tube type tire
without the benefit of a tube.

I've alway done almost all of my own vehicle maintenance. I won't say I've
never screwed something up, but at least I knew when I did it and didn't get
a surprise 50 miles down the road.