Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_8_] Jon Danniken[_8_] is offline

Default tight lug nuts

On 09/23/2014 10:21 PM, J Burns wrote:
I bought tires a couple of months ago. Yesterday I tried to remove a
wheel to check the bearing. The nuts wouldn't budge.

They're supposed to be torqued to about 65 foot-pounds. After letting
penetrating oil work overnight, I got 15 of the 16 nuts with a cruciform
wrench with 10" arms. I used a pipe to extend one arm and stood on the
other.

I believe I'm applying well over 200 foot-pounds. The wrench twists so
far that I think more force would be dangerous. I'll see what tools
neighbors have, or maybe go to a mechanic.

Can I have the dealer and his crew sent to prison?

I learned this same lesson years ago after a tire shop over-torqued my
lugnuts after I bought some new tires. As a result, I now specify the
torque I want them set to, which is on the low side of the recommended
torque. They have me sign a waiver, and when I get it home I
double-check the torque and push it a little higher to the middle of the
range.

Jon