Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tight lug nuts --hot wax method

On 9/24/2014 9:43 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
I accidently misplaced my very expensive Krauter electric pliers
outside, then found them a year later seized solid. just kept them
mourning their loss. Then, after watching the 'remetallization' process
our Brulin's quaternary sanitizer was doing [Unicide 256] soaked the
pliers in the compound,not only did some/much of the rust turn back into
metal, but the pliers started to open very stiffly. Kept working on them
and now have my pliers back!

Have you ever tried Whink [mild hydrofluoric acid] to remove rust? Be
sure to wear gloves! Eats under your fingernails, but you don't realize
it until an hour later when it feels like your nails are being
constantly ripped off. So mild doesn't do much damage to porcelain -
tried to etch glass and it won't.

Nice to know some thing works.

As for HF acid, I refuse to get near the stuff.
Some HVAC guys use that on coils, since they
end up looking shiny and bright. I like the
alkaline cleaner, which works nicely.

--
..
Christopher A. Young