Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default tight lug nuts

wrote:

Toyota had no more problems with soft lug bolts than anyone else.
Perhaps some problems with soft alloy lug NUTS - but not any worse
than any other company in my experience. We always lubed the studs
before installing the nuts - just a light touch of anti-seize.

Despite some instructions I've seen I always use a little anti-sieze. I
haven't had a wheel fall off in the last 50 years and I've had no problems
removing the lugs or nuts.

I rotate the tires or change out to the winter studs myself so there's no
problem. On the rare occasions where I buy tires, the first thing I do when
I get home is retorque the fasteners. I've hit a few that required the
impact wrench.

I'd bought a Harbor Freight electric impact wrench specifically to break
loose the bolts on a notorcycle fork's damper tubes, but it has come in
handy several times. For a tool that gets used once or twice a year at the
outside I've gotten my money's worth.