Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr.E Mr.E is offline

Default tight lug nuts

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 01:52:32 -0400, J Burns wrote:

On 9/24/14, 1:31 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 01:21:24 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

I bought tires a couple of months ago. Yesterday I tried to remove a
wheel to check the bearing. The nuts wouldn't budge.

They're supposed to be torqued to about 65 foot-pounds. After letting
penetrating oil work overnight, I got 15 of the 16 nuts with a cruciform
wrench with 10" arms. I used a pipe to extend one arm and stood on the
other.

I believe I'm applying well over 200 foot-pounds. The wrench twists so
far that I think more force would be dangerous. I'll see what tools
neighbors have, or maybe go to a mechanic.

Can I have the dealer and his crew sent to prison?

A 3/4" impact wrench will spin them off but you should be able to
crack them loose with a breaker bar and your pipe. Use a 6 point
socket.

I borrowed a 1/2" breaker bar and a 6-point thick-wall socket designed
for impact wrenches. I understand one advantage is that if you hammer
on the breaker bar, the socket will transmit shock to the wheel around
the nut. It seems to transmit the shock pretty well but hasn't worked
so far.

My BIL has a 3/4" set. I used to use it on farm equipment. That might
work.

Dadblamed tired dealer! I wonder if the lugs and nuts are permanently
damaged from the stress.

An air impact wrench will probably loosen them. I would take it back to
the tire shop, have them break the nuts loose and torque them myself
before leaving. If you do not have a torque wrench, then use a cross
wrench to retighten until you can get to a wrench. Most lug nuts tighten
76 to 80 ftlbs torque. You will have a real problem if you have a flat
on the road.
--
Mr.E