Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tight lug nuts

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 07:13:37 -0400, Steve Stone
wrote:

I believe I'm applying well over 200 foot-pounds.

It is a common problem. I've broken/ torn apart factory provided combo
jack handles/lug nut removal tools trying to remove lug nuts after tires
have been touched by service stations or dealerships.

Steve

As a dealership service manager I'd spot-check the torque on wheel
nuts after the mechanic was finished a job. Random selection of a few
a week. Heaven help the guy who under-torqued or over-torqued a
wheel!!! I started this after a customer lost a wheel less than 3
miles from the shop. It never happened again. They guys were VERY
carefull to make sure all wheels were properly torqued. They'd run
them on with the impact on the hoist, drop the vehicle to the ground-
retorque with the torque wrench, then install the wheel covers if so
equipped.