Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tight lug nuts

On 9/24/2014 7:48 AM, snafu wrote:
A few years ago a tire on my Toyota truck was losing air. When I tried
(with helpers) to remove the wheel, two of the six lugs snapped off and
we couldn't budge the other four. To make a long story short, I was
later told that Toyota (and I think Mazda) were notorious for using soft
metal on their lugs which could be easily cross-threaded and essentially
welded to the nut. So in addition to replacing the tire I had all 24
lugs replaced.

My friend (who's not all that wise some times) had a
Buick station wagon for hauling his wife and kids.
Fondly called the BMW, Big Mormon Wagon. One time
he bought a set of the small steel lug nuts, because
"didn't like" the tall lug nuts with the closed tops.
With the decorator aluminum wheels, they have a deep
well for the lug nuts. I told him that was a terrible
idea. Anyhow, the steel lugs were so far down in, a
wrench or socket tip didn't engage enough of the lug
to remove them. We were able to remove all but a
couple, and he ended up grinding the lug and stud off
with my die grinder from HF. Remove the wheel, go to
the store and buy new studs to bang in. And then go
back to the tall lug nuts.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus