Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tight lug nuts

On 9/24/2014 1:52 AM, J Burns wrote:
I borrowed a 1/2" breaker bar and a 6-point thick-wall socket designed
for impact wrenches. I understand one advantage is that if you hammer
on the breaker bar, the socket will transmit shock to the wheel around
the nut. It seems to transmit the shock pretty well but hasn't worked
so far.

My BIL has a 3/4" set. I used to use it on farm equipment. That might
work.

Dadblamed tired dealer! I wonder if the lugs and nuts are permanently
damaged from the stress.

Wow, that must be tight. Are you pressing down on the wrench, to the
left of the lug? I find that works, compared to lifting up to the right.

On lug nuts. If the wheels are aluminum, the tire places
want to recheck the lugs after 25 to 50 miles. This is a
real concern. I did a rear wheel brake pad slap one time,
and figured they were fine. Two days later, I had a rather
serious shake. Took it to my garage, and he noted that
the right front tire was out of round. On the way to the
junkyard to get another tire, the left rear fell off.

Mechanic had not asked if I did anything to the wheels
lately "Well, replace brake pads in the back" and had
not pulled the snap caps to see if the lugs were tight.

I share the blame, I didn't recheck torque after 50 miles.

--
..
Christopher A. Young