just me

Default Cheap lathes any good?

"bob" wrote in message
Hi
Im thinking of trying my hand at
wood turning, I was thinking of
buying a cheap lathe first just to
see if I like the hobby. These go for about
£100 on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=63 3

Are these OK(ish) to start with? the only
problem I can see is the bed seems a little
on the feeble side, but that's no problem
for me as im a welder. I was just wondering
if the spindle, bearings, motor etc are reasonable.

Many thanks

BoB

One thing I try to remember from my Grandfather is "Don't waste your money
on something you wouldn't sell to a friend." Or something like that.
In other words, invest in a better lathe. If you find you don't like it (but
I doubt it) you can always sell it to someone else, as long as you take care
of it. But if you buy something junky you probably wouldn't want to saddle
someone else with it.