Bridger

Default tool rest for south bend 9"

I lurk here a little, but I usually don't post. however, I have a
question that I haven't seen answered. it might turn out to be one of
those things covered in a FAQ somewhere... if so, please point me in
the right direction.

I inherited a south bend 9x36. it's a model A with the quick change
and the bench mount motor hanging off of the back. Grampa built a
pretty beefy bench for it with lots of room to bolt stuff to if
necessary.

what I want to do with it is set up a tool rest for woodturning
chisels. I'll pull the cross slide when working wood to get it out of
the way. it has the south bend prismatic ways, so the banjo from
another wood lathe is unlikely to work.

I have thought of making something that sits on the bench and
cantilevers over to the lathe center. If it were heavy enough It might
not even need to be bolted, which could be convenient for flexibility
of positioning.

another solution would involve machining a block to allow a generic
banjo to fit the ways. I'd lose a little of the 9" diameter, which is
a bit scant for a wood lathe to begin with, so I'd consider this a
less desireable solution

any thoughts?

Bridger