David S Lawson

Default Cheap lathes any good?

In message
"bob" wrote:

Hi
Im thinking of trying my hand at
wood turning, I was thinking of
buying a cheap lathe first just to
see if I like the hobby. These go for about
£100 on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=63 3

Are these OK(ish) to start with? the only
problem I can see is the bed seems a little
on the feeble side, but that's no problem
for me as im a welder. I was just wondering
if the spindle, bearings, motor etc are reasonable.

Many thanks

BoB

As you refer to Ebay UK and quoye in pounds sterling I think you may be
in the UK. The Association of Woodturner of Great Britain can give you
the location of a local club which may have a lath available for loan
or the association itself may be able to help rather than spend money
now.
Try www.woodturners.co.uk for info
--
Dave Lawson