Ken Moon

Default Cheap lathes any good?

Bob,
The one you reference on Ebay has some serious drawbacks. While it may OK
for lightweight spindle turning, it lacks the torsional rigidity to turn
bowls of more than minimal diameters (though one member of this group has a
sinilar unit and likes it). It also has a high minimum speed. around 800 RPM
on 50 HZ (UK), and 1100 RPM on 60 HZ lines (USA). This is too fast for
unbalanced blanks the size that the specs claim for this lathe.

There are some low end lathes that are adequate for beginners. The Sears
monotube lathe clones are available from several suppliers. Harbor Freight
in the US has it for $129 USD. The next size up from this configuration is
the Jet 1236 clones. They are available from several outlets also. Harbor
Freight and Grizzly in the US and Axminister in UK. The HF version is put on
sale periodically for $169.00 USD. The Jet 1236 has some draw backs, but it
is used by many turners across the country, and turn out good work with it.
It has cast iron bed, and adequate tail stock, and a swivel headstock for
outboard turning or swivelled outward for better access for bowl turning.
I'm not sure what the exchange rate is now for pound vs dollars, but I think
you can find a better lathe than the on in your post for the sane price (100
pounds) or slightly more.
Just my opinion. YMMY

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

"bob" wrote in message
Hi
Im thinking of trying my hand at
wood turning, I was thinking of
buying a cheap lathe first just to
see if I like the hobby. These go for about
£100 on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=63 3

Are these OK(ish) to start with? the only
problem I can see is the bed seems a little
on the feeble side, but that's no problem
for me as im a welder. I was just wondering
if the spindle, bearings, motor etc are reasonable.

Many thanks

BoB