Posted to alt.home.repair
Sherlock.Homes[_2_] Sherlock.Homes[_2_] is offline

Default Mounting a bracket on a brick wall

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:33:43 AM UTC-4, Sherlock.Homes wrote:
wrote in message

I would look to either drill new holes in the mounting bracket or make

whole new mounting bracket so I could drill into the mortar. Never

heard of

anyone successfully drilling into bricks.

I won't be the one to break your streak. Into the mortar I go! If I

need

to drill new holes, that should be simple enough. Like a stopped watch

being right twice a day, at least two horizontal holes should line up.

SH

I would agree that drilling the mortar would be the easier solution. But
I have to disagree with those that say you can't drill through bricks.
I did it a few years back to add a bath fan. It required making an

opening
in the brick wall to fit the exhaust pipe, ie about a 3.5 or larger hole.
I drilled holes all around the perimeter, then knocked the pieces out.
I didn't even have a hammer drill, just a regular one with a masonry bit.
It wasn't all that hard. Bricks may vary, but these were not that tough.

That's good to know. Wife's health crisis delayed the project for a while,
sorry to say. The bracket that CRNG located for me arrived and the camera
fits exactly (the mount even came with SS bolts and nuts for the camera
arm - a real bonus!) but the two of the four holes for the walls do not line
up with the mortar.

I will thus be drilling two holes that will align with the mortar since that
seems to be the easiest course of action. When I get the time, I will
experiment with brick drilling since I have a hammer drill (or so the label
says) and a set of HF masonary bits. There may come a time when that's the
only solution. Thanks for the input.

SH