Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default itsy bitsy tankless water heater?

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:12:55 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
Itsy bitsy tankless water heater?

I saw a thread a while back about tankless water heaters.

How about this?. I only want to heat the hot water for one sink, in

the bathroom. I haven't the patience to wait until it's hot so I

always wash my hands or my face with cold water.

I don't mind wasting money for once, though I plan to install it myself.

So what sort of electric tankless water heater would you recommend for

one sink?. I hope it won't need more than 15 amps.

How many gallons a minute of hot water does a bathroom sink use?

Favorite brands?

(The shower/tub in the same bathroom, the other 1.5 baths, the washing

machine, the kitchen sink, and the laundry sink can just wait until the

water gets hot, like they do now. My half-bath/powder room off the

front hall is directly above the water heater, and it is such a pleasure

to have hot water almost immediately.)

Thanks.

I doubt 15 amps is going to get you anywhere. I have an electric kettle to
heat water in the kitchen for coffee, tea, etc. It's 1500W and it takes quite a few minutes to heat just a liter of water to boiling. You don't have to get nearly that hot, but you probably want a couple liters a minute min flowing through there. Like Ed said, a small tank type might be better if you have room. But IDK about them either. I've had a couple of those instant hot water dispensers for the kitchen sink. They use a tank. They last about 3 years and then they fail, for one reason or another, including leaking tank. Also, like a regular tank type water heater, sediment builds up and the water winds up not tasting good. Just like I wouldn't use water from a tank water heater to drink, I decided those under sink units were a bad idea. For a bathroom it would be OK, provided the units last.