Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default [OT} Electricity usage

On 22/09/2014 20:19, News wrote:
In message ],
Another John writes

We'll all be very interested to see what you find, Graeme!

So will I :-)

The wiring here is strange. I mentioned that there is a master on/off
switch, plus four individually switched fuse boxes. When playing around
this morning, I forgot to turn one of them back on, but did not notice
until this evening. Four fuses in that box, but for what? They seem to
cover the downstairs hall light, and the ceiling lights in the front
rooms, upstairs and down, to the left of the front door, but not the
rooms on the right. In both of those rooms are various wall sockets,
some of which were off, but not all. Most odd. I'll try and remember
to photograph 'mission control' tomorrow.

Prompted by this thread, and most people being out of the house or at
least not using much power, I thought it might be interesting to
experiment a bit to see if I can see where our background load came
from. So I slapped a clamp meter round one of the meter tails, and
switched off various bits to see what showed up...

Some interesting bits:

The pond pump and UV clarifier take about an amp (however that's an
induction motor, so chances are some of that current is reactive and
hence not metered)

My comms cabinet (routers x 2, PABX, Network switch, NAS, external
drive, and a homeplug device) takes about 300mA

The smoke alarms and emergency lights pull 30mA

Now an odd one - there are two downstairs lighting circuits. Both had
all the lights off, yet between them they draw 400mA. Currently lost for
a reason why! (about 250mA on one, and 150mA on the other)

Kitchen 1.25A, mostly cooling I would expect.

Sockets first floor 250mA - mostly standby loads and a laptop charger -
possibly a 60W (250mA) PIR controlled lamp that may have triggered on
repowering.

Sockets downstairs, 2.84A, of which 1.6A alone is my IT kit in my office
(couple of PCs, Laser, Scanner, couple of phones with wall warts, answer
machine, 2 x LCD monitors, KVM switch, speakers/amp, mobile charger,
print server, and assorted other small appliances)

--
Cheers,

John.