Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

On 23/09/14 09:14, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 22/09/14 23:47, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher

On 22/09/14 22:02, Tim Streater wrote:

Only for those few listed there. I want to see an icon for any

mounted
volume.

then turn that feature

they pop up automagically.

see he

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/winowman.png

That's mint mate 17...

I just tested it and nfs mounted 7 drives on my remote machine (using
a console script) and they all popped up like mushrooms

I've got that ticked. I've got "Computer" but no icon for the hard
drive or for the host's shared volume I mounted in the Terminal.

Odd. that suggest that the daemon that detects mounted volumes in not
running. (dbus?) Try unticking everything, rebooting, and then
reticking what you want.

There is some evidence of issues with CIFS/samba style 'windows' mounts.

What about inserting a dvd or a thumb drive?

If I use the Virtual box menu item to "mount" the VirtualBoxAdditions
virtual DVD, then that appears on the desktop.

Are you running mint in a VM?

BTW, does Mint have anything resembling Visual Basic? I want to make a
double-clickable executable that can run a script, get the exit code
from the script, and if required put up an alert panel with a message.

Mm. python is probably your best bet for that.

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/012oc...atures/python/

the main problem is that even with GTK, actually opening a window is a
bit opaque (sic!)

Hmmm, I'll take a look at that. Can't be worse than AppleScript, anyway
:-)

I also found an apparent bug with drag and drop of a file from one File
manager window to another. To effect changes, I've been editing under
OS X, and saving a copy into the shared folder. The shared folder is
mounted under Mint, but is owned by root so I drag it from there into
my testbed in my Mint home directory. Last times I did that, the
destination file was then missing about its last 350 bytes (out of
about 300k). Copying with cp was fine so testing proceeded, but perhaps
I should report that.

these all sound like samba bugs to me.

I use NFS whenever possible because it 'just works'

Only my XP in virtual box uses samba, and that works OK with windows
client and samba server.

Let me try and mount a smb volume on raw linux

nope, that show up OK too