Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking Down Under, 2

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:47:42 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

I paid $125 for the same setup (plus recip and circular saws) from
Ryobi, but gave $269 for the Makita impact driver, 2 3A LIon batts,
charger and case. The little 1/4" hex drive Makita is powerful enough
to take the lugnuts off my truck, though.

Hitachi and Makita are big here, and DeWalt is considered very good. But
the new Milwuakee brushless tech is a step above. My first and last
experience with battery drills and such was one of the first drills
Sears sold. Drill half a dozen 1/4" holess, then wait an hour or two for
the battery to recharge. Maybe not quite that bad, but really useful for
only a few holes.

I helped crate a Bridgeport last Friday for shipment ...using a
Milwaukee cordless driver, Lithium Ion. I was exceptionally suprised
when I started driving 3" screws that it has what sounds like an
Impact function..it kept going takatatakata....not fast...but was even
more suprised when I drove nearly 200!!! of those screws on a single
battery. Little battery is about the size of 2 35mm film cans on top
of each other, (charges in 30 minutes) and simply ran screw after
screw after screw until it simply stopped. Stuck in another
battery..back to putting in the last couple screws. Has a charge
indicator just above the trigger..4 LEDs that show your state of
charge and when it goes out..it stops. Little gun, doesnt weigh
nearly as much as my old Makita and lasts about 1000% longer. No
****..good stuff Maynard!! Didnt strip a single phillips head
either..another amazing thing and I fabbed it up out of green 4x4s and
dried hard as a rock 2x4s. Truely amazed!! And Im an old hand with
cordless.

When I asked Leigh how much it costs..he says about $100 new with a
charger and 2 batteries. Gotta get one!!

The first cordless drill I used was in the mid '60s. It had a
separate battery box with a 12V gel cell. A TV shop used it to install
TV antennas.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.