Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

On 23/09/14 01:54, Arfa Daily wrote:

On 22/09/14 13:29, John Williamson wrote:
On 22/09/2014 10:39, Bill wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

About Linux

The only two things I have found that are still substandard are
scanner and wifi drivers.

And audio interface drivers, especially for anything beyond just
listening, and I can't find a virtual keyboard that works properly on a
tablet PC

The audio interface problems are the main reason I don't use Linux.
Please don't suggest I should choose a different audio interface, as the
ones I use are the best I can afford. That and the Bluetooth
non-support.

Yep. If you are pushing bleeding edge hardware, then the bleeding
hardware manufactures know they HAVE to get it working under windows.

They wont get it working under OSX, because no one puts non apple
cards into OSX.

They may or may not bother to get it working under Linux.

Usually thats a linux geek in their company who does that.

scanners and printers and sound all have had a chequered history. CUPS
and HP between them solved MOST of the printer problems, and thats
mostly plug and play now.

Sound on standard type chipsets is OK for normal use.

Scanners are still a bit hit and miss. If you get the right scanner
its plkug and play, if wrong, it simply will never work. In between
there are some that can be coaxed to life but not always at full res.

But this is a bit like what I'm saying. I've never had a sound problem
with any audio application that I have ever run on any machine with any
version of Windows. Nor have I ever had a printer or scanner or combo
that hasn't just worked with minimum fuss and pretty much transparent
driver installation from the manufacturer's supplied disc. That is the
main advantage of Windows over other operating systems, for me, and I
would suggest most *average* computer users.

periphieral compatibility is at about 85%, compared to windows 95%.

Yes, there is lots of stuff on windows that doesn't play nice as well.

And OSX. Imagine buying a new printer and finding out that you acnt
install the drivers because you have an OSX on power PC, and the printer
manufactures decide not to support that processor because its ten years old.

How many mew peripheral work on old XP?

And there isn't a lot linux can do if manufacturers wont release driver
sources either. Or write linux drivers.

Arfa