Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default devices of unecessary complexity

Gunner Asch on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:16:02 -0700

WHY???!!! did you smash a Nikon F body???

They are still worth in excess of $200 each and for us
collectors..they are freaking priceless!!!

Barbarians - they break what they don't understand.

Tearing stuff apart is the greatest way to learn about how things work.

Disassembling is one thing. It is called "reverse engineering."
Breaking some thing because you don't understand how it works is not
"educational".

It's the fast way to see what's holding something together, and if you
don't need it put back, it's fine.

In fact, taking a hammer to saw to stuff is a good way to learn where the
strong and weak points are in something.

Its wanton vandalism of the worst sort. Try convincing yourself it is
something different...but it simply doesnt wash.

Ill bet you would love to smash open one of my Nikon S's.

Current value of the "black/black dial" one is $2500.00

https://www.cameraquest.com/nrfs2bl.htm

Rare as hell

Complicated inside too!

It came to me that there might be another explanation. Because
when I was a kid, the return lever on my dad's typewriter broke, and
parts were no longer available. Not even from the factory (we
checked).
So one afternoon, I being bored, took it apart. Disassembled it
pretty completely. Saw no reason to keep the cast iron frame, so
broke that up.
It wasn't until decades later, that I realized "there probably was
a metal shop in the High School, an new part could have been made.
Even with 1970 technology." Sigh. So soon old, so late schmart.
--
pyotr filipivich