Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default devices of unecessary complexity

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:48:01 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:52:19

The electronic and mechanical engineers at that and several other
places I've worked knew little of each others' discipline

Not just the EE & ME. I learned machining. When I was tasked
with making some fenders for a friends walker - of course the first
thing I though of was "get a block of aluminum, and mill it ...".

Walker?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Star_Wars.JPG
(Sorry, first thought. Can you tell I'm a sci-fi fan?)

Sigh, the whole "if all you know is the hammer, everything is a
nail."

Yeah, first thoughts always run along the lines of your most utilized
base of knowledge. Deeper thought runs out and finds more isolated
and less frequently used pools of knowledge.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles