Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_20_] Frank[_20_] is offline

Default Bilco door bumps

On Monday, September 22, 2014 4:46:03 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:06:29 -0700 (PDT), Frank

wrote:

This is the top of my Bilco cellar door. The horizontal line is the area where the hidden hinge lies. If i scrape those little bubbles, some would reveal holes that I would like to weld or whatever it takes to cover them. Someone told me about a Bond agent that one can get at Lowes, and I did a search and I do not know what to get. local welders refuse to do this small job, so I guess I have to do it myself. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Link fixed.

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q386/Novel8/Capture_zps98878e12.jpg

Frank,

Difficult to tell from your photo; it reminds me of rust under the

paint. Perhaps a wire bush in a drill to clean down to shiny metal.

Then I'd try a rust neutralizer, from Loctite, coat the metal and

allow it to cure. The metal will turn black. Then apply new paint.

HD will have Loctite EXTEND Rust Neutralizer. It converts light rust

to a paintable surface.

YMMV.

I intend to paint, but I have painted continously since i bought it..primed and then paint and still get those bumps. I tried to do light scraping and the first one at the far right exposed a hole through..so I suspect by doing the same to those areas I circled, some more holes will appear. Another person recommended to go to an auto store where they use the same thing on their cars. I don't own a car so I do not know exactly what they are talking about, but I guess the guys at the store do.