Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default devices of unecessary complexity

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:59:49 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

You would have appreciated the board-level repairs I had to make, in
shirt and tie, at the Rocky Flats bomb plant. We had sold a Sodick
EDM
to them and we had to fly out to do a repait -- two young Japanese
guys from our staff, one an engineer and the other a technician, and
me (Marketing Manager).

But they make (or made) nuclear-bomb triggers there and the Japanese
couldn't get past the lobby. So they sent me in with some test
equipment and got on the phone with me. We had a box of discrete
parts
and the boards with us that we thought were the problem, but that
wasn't it. So I had to solder a couple of components right on the
shop
floor.

Fortunately, they were through-hole, two-side boards, not
multi-layer.

--
Ed Huntress (KC2NZT)

At Mitre my machine shop was secured behind a cypher lock yet the
Ph.Ds still got in to try to cut lawnmower blades on the bandsaw, at
the wood speed.

However I could leave my soldering station out and the lab door
unlocked, certain that none of them would dare risk using it. Instead
they'd leave the job on the bench with a little note.

Like tying climbing knots and 7018 rod it becomes very easy with
practice.

-jsw