Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default [OT} Electricity usage

"bert" ] wrote in message
In message , News
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , News
writes

No electric heating. No tumble dryer. Just the usual washing machine,
dishwasher, two fridges/freezers, two desktops, two laptops, kettle,
lighting etc. An I naive, or is that a lot of units?

Hmm.. is that a ranch!

grin Not quite!

Thanks for all the comments. Seems to me you're all using something in
the range 3-5000 units. Why are we using over 9000?

Yes, large house. 6 beds. However, 3 people (2 adults, one child), and
we don't run lights or anything else in the rooms not being used. Oil
heating, no gas, so leccy covers all the usual stuff. Yes, we have two
desktops and two laptops on 24/7. Router and homeplugs. Fluorescent
lights in the kitchen are left on 24/7 (for the dog ...). Most of our
light bulbs are either fluorescent or low energy. Showers just use
domestic hot water from the tank. Immersion heater very rarely used - 2
or 3 times, when we've run out of oil. One freezer, one fridge/freezer
and a fridge. Dishwasher used every night. Telly perhaps a dozen nights
a year. Washing machine twice, sometimes three times a week. No built in
tumble dryer. Wifey uses hair dryer and straighteners once a week. The
usual mobile chargers, radio etc. Electric kettle - we drink a lot of tea.
Electric hob and oven. We use a combination microwave/oven a lot, to
avoid heating the big oven. Can never remember the types of hob. Glass
top, the rings glow red when on. Always switched off at the wall when not
in use.

We had a new meter installed May 2004. Readings (actual) from old meter
are :

20.08.02 29666
06.11.02 32697
08.05.03 38412
05.11.03 42082
12.05.04 47134

Usage therefore 17468 over 19 months, or roughly 11032 p.a. ten+ years
ago.

Readings from new meter (actual not estimated) :

23.06.06 16794
18.12.06 21616
12.03.08 34407
20.10.08 39407
10.12.09 49834
18.04.11 61390
21.02.13 75880
26.09.13 80827
03.06.14 87405
22.09.14 89955

Usage therefore 73161 from 23.06.06 to today. 8 years 3 months. 99
months. 73161/99 x 12 = 8868 average p.a.

Seems unlikely both meters would be wrong?

Confused,

Last year we used 7700. Not much different configuration to you except we
don't use microwave (ceramic hob which is what yours sound like) AND we
have a hot tub running in the garden!!

Hot tubs are for swingers.

--
Adam