Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default [OT} Electricity usage

On 22/09/2014 13:23, News wrote:
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , News
writes

No electric heating. No tumble dryer. Just the usual washing
machine, dishwasher, two fridges/freezers, two desktops, two laptops,
kettle, lighting etc. An I naive, or is that a lot of units?

Hmm.. is that a ranch!

grin Not quite!

Thanks for all the comments. Seems to me you're all using something in
the range 3-5000 units. Why are we using over 9000?

Dunno - but I guess I am using 15000kwh/year, so do you want to swap ;-)

Yes, large house. 6 beds. However, 3 people (2 adults, one child), and
we don't run lights or anything else in the rooms not being used. Oil
heating, no gas, so leccy covers all the usual stuff. Yes, we have two
desktops and two laptops on 24/7. Router and homeplugs. Fluorescent
lights in the kitchen are left on 24/7 (for the dog ...). Most of our
light bulbs are either fluorescent or low energy. Showers just use
domestic hot water from the tank. Immersion heater very rarely used - 2
or 3 times, when we've run out of oil. One freezer, one fridge/freezer
and a fridge. Dishwasher used every night. Telly perhaps a dozen
nights a year. Washing machine twice, sometimes three times a week. No
built in tumble dryer. Wifey uses hair dryer and straighteners once a
week. The usual mobile chargers, radio etc. Electric kettle - we drink
a lot of tea. Electric hob and oven. We use a combination
microwave/oven a lot, to avoid heating the big oven. Can never remember
the types of hob. Glass top, the rings glow red when on. Always

Seems unlikely both meters would be wrong?

One point often not considered is the occupancy of the place. If it has
people in it 24/7 then consumption tends to be much higher than places
that are basically empty for a third of every work day.

--
Cheers,

John.