Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

In message , John Williamson
writes
On 22/09/2014 10:39, Bill wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

About Linux

The only two things I have found that are still substandard are
scanner and wifi drivers.

And audio interface drivers, especially for anything beyond just
listening, and I can't find a virtual keyboard that works properly on a
tablet PC

The audio interface problems are the main reason I don't use Linux.
Please don't suggest I should choose a different audio interface, as
the ones I use are the best I can afford. That and the Bluetooth
non-support.

For Windows users and presumably Mac users as well, I would normally say
to list the audio connector types and audio facilities you want, then
look for an interface to fit. It will almost certainly work. That is not
the case with Linux.
I don't know of, and would be interested to hear of, anyone successfully
using one of the many guitar + phantom power mic input interfaces with
Linux and getting usable latency figures.
I don't really understand why Linux seems to compile drivers into the
kernel or an application like Jack rather than having the simple
hardware-driver-application model like Windows.

If you are lucky, they work. If not, you then do need to spend time
finding out the magic spells.

I needed more than magic to get the various audio mixers into any sort
of sense and working with Jack and the various other audio apps. I am
still not at all happy.

You're a few steps past me, then, in that case.

I don't feel I'm any steps past anyone. I've been trying to evaluate
"Harrison Mixbus" as a comparison between its Linux and Windows
incarnations, and I keep running out of time and patience.

I have to say that I thought the Windows traditional audio mixer was
mediocre, but the Linux normal mixer is just bizarre. Hopeless
labelling, channels disappearing off the screen, recording and playback
in the same mixer and so on. Supersonic howlrounds, here we come.

But we are a bit OT now.
--
Bill