Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default [OT} Electricity usage

On 22/09/2014 10:44, News wrote:

A bit OT, but our electricity usage has always seemed incredibly high to
me. Not how much we pay, but the actual units used. Looking back, the
last time I read the meter was 26.09.13, which is almost exactly a year
ago. Reading it today, I find we have used 9128 units over a year.

No electric heating. No tumble dryer. Just the usual washing machine,
dishwasher, two fridges/freezers, two desktops, two laptops, kettle,
lighting etc. An I naive, or is that a lot of units?

Leaving two two/three year old desktops on 24/7 could run up 1000-1500
units a year. Older or high spec desktops can use 120+W so that's a
couple of units a day each.
The laptops probably use 20% or less units.

A plasma TV could use a unit every 2-3 hours while an LCD would run for
half a day on the same number of units.

A 60w lamp left on will use about 1.5 units a day.

An old sky box will use about 250 units a year.

How much baking/cooking do you do using an electric cooker?

HTH.