Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT} Electricity usage

In article ,
News writes:

A bit OT, but our electricity usage has always seemed incredibly high to
me. Not how much we pay, but the actual units used. Looking back, the
last time I read the meter was 26.09.13, which is almost exactly a year
ago. Reading it today, I find we have used 9128 units over a year.

9128 / 365 = 25kWh/day, which is just over 1000W permanent load.

Mine tends to be 600W, dropping to 400W when everyone in bed.

No electric heating. No tumble dryer. Just the usual washing machine,
dishwasher, two fridges/freezers, two desktops, two laptops, kettle,
lighting etc. An I naive, or is that a lot of units?

What are your 'always on' items? (Most other things can be ignored.)

Do you have a 300W/500W outdoor floodlamp which is on dusk-dawn?

Does the figure vary much between summer/winter?

I would suggest buying a power monitor of some type, either for checking
the usage of individual appliances, or the type which clips around the
meter tails and reports on the whole house.

--
Andrew Gabriel